Wednesday, June 16, 2010

My Baby Counts


Two months ago I filled out the 2010 Census forms for my household. Today, I received a call from the Census Bureau to verify or confirm the information submitted. The call was quick and the questions were easy. And at first glance the process seemed simple and painless until I mentioned my unborn child; due to be born this July.

Apparently, since my baby will be born in July–three and a half months after April 1, 2010–she does NOT count for the 2010 Census. Yet, in April, my wife was 27 weeks into her pregnancy, allowing my baby to be considered a human by most legal standards. So why doesn't my baby count? And if my baby does not count, how many other Hispanic babies are not being counted?

According to the BabyCenter.com, over 4 MM babies are born each year. The site states that most babies are born during the summer months, coinciding with summer vacation. Since 25% of all newborns are Hispanic, there will be about 1 MM Hispanic babies born this year. If they are born after April 1, 2010, they will not count either.

In essence, the census is not counting close to a million Hispanics. To put it in perspective, a million uncounted babies surpasses the total population of Wyoming, Vermont, North Dakota or Alaska. Imaging not counting an entire state? Imaging if that state did not get the resources they needed from the government to succeed. It would be disastrous. That state would not receive things like new roads, bridges, schools, and services like job training centers needed to thrive.

Just like the million unborn Hispanics, my unborn child counts. The $4 trillion that will be distributed over the next 10 years must to account for the children being born this year or face the challenge of building communities with insufficient funds.

Fausto Gortaire
Account Director
HeadQuarters Advertising Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment